Thursday, December 16, 2010

Google's Gift - Chrome OS Device

Santa came a bit earlier this year for me.

I was invited to a Google HTML5 tech talk. Learnt some of their plans and next steps regarding IndexedDB as part of the local storage strategy for HTML5.

But the real surprise came when they announced that they would give attendees a Chrome OS device as pilot devices. Google's goal is to have us test drive these devices and give them feedback. Thank you Google!

Well, first things first. Why do we need a Chrome OS Device?
According to Google, last 25 years of computer and laptop development have added a lot of not-any-more-needed cruft to our computers. For example, does BIOS still needs to check the existence of Floppy Drive when starting? Also, most people (yes my dear wife is a member of this club!) tend to spend all their time inside a Browser. Considering these, Google felt that the world needs a ground up device which is built completely for a browser and cloud based services.

Let me describe the key things which I have seen so far.

1. It is a pretty minimalistic laptop form factor, overall lighter, lesser keyboard with a very functional design. It comes with touchpad supporting single tap and double finger swipe. The keyboard has a set of browser friendly keys (has a search key).

2. Getting started was painless. After plugging in the battery, the device started up asked me to log in with my Google Account, took a picture and I was set.
Wonder how will it behave if i did not have a Google account?

3. Upon startup I see a Chrome Browser with access to Gmail , Docs, YouTube and a few other applications.

4. This is a completely internet connected device which immediately discovered Wi-Fi connections. It also has a 3G connectivity package from Verizon Wireless. It seems to be priced at $9.99 a month, but I am yet to check it out.

5. The device seems to be a cloud-enabled and the promise is to be worry free from all your documents, pictures and emails being lost from a crash or virus since they are supposedly stored and protected in the Google Cloud for us.

6. CloudPrint - It seems Google is working with a set of printer manufacturers to make them cloud ready and as consumers we should be able to connect and print to a remote printer without having to go through the pains of installing a driver.

7. App Store - Chrome App Store is already open for business and Google is encouraging developers to submit their HTML5 enabled webapps. This to me is quite fascinating.

8. Instant-On - It seems the startup time is around 1 sec.

9. Guest Mode - For non-registered users there is a guest mode to browse the web.

10. Confusion & Conclusion
With tens of Android devices coming after the iPad juggernaut, I am not sure how to use yet another device! But the idea of a cloud ready, browser only, cruft-free device seems like it may have a future. We will have to wait till the jury deliberates.

But I am feeling reasonably strong that HTML5 is a strong contender for next-gen development. And the idea of App-Store from iOS, MacOS, Android and now on to Chrome OS will democratize app development giving smaller talented developers a level playing field to compete. Nice!

5 comments:

Catrina said...

We want to see a photo!

smadhira said...

Blog was really good and its like a Jump start. Few points I would like to add on CR-48.
1. Google is trying to get the user base towards its cloud to compete against MSFT,AAPL in handheld devices (Mobile/Netbook space/PDA).
Not sure how it is going to yield good results to Google on this attempt. They failed on Buzz to compete with FB and Twitter.

2. Isn't it worth thinking again to invest time and effort on Antroid??? After looking at numbers of iOS growth and Antroid growth, future is all Mobile space. On the other side, APAC which is huge market for mobile space and not yet fully moved to 3G, is MSFT Mobile and Antroid going to take over AAPL there??? The reason is being "More for less".

Not but not the least,
1. what is going to happen if I don't have a Google account to login to CR48?.
2. What is the security and data backup features Google is going to give me if I put on their cloud.
3. I agree that, there is no BIOS and other many hardware components (floppy drive, Hard disk etc) but how many ppl are ready to put data on cloud??? I'm the in the group of ppl who are against putting data on cloud.
4. How is it going to be so different than netbook. Not just in in features wise, in cost-wise and why should i prefer this than a iPad or Netbook.
4. If I run an Enterprise company, I don't see much value added to give CR48 to employees instead of an Laptop or iPad. I mean it doesn't make sense for me till I move all my company data to a cloud and CR48 allows me to be access that cloud. Till that time will this product going to survive??

-Swamy,

Durgesh Srivastava said...

I got to play with Cr-48 last weekend. I thought it was pretty cool device... nice feel, nice look (liked the pure black - no stickers crap).

Instant On from sleep was fast... though just a tiny bit faster than my Windows 7 laptop which has regular hard drive, and not the SSD.

Cold boot time was noticibly faster.

Using it --> there's not much difference than running Chrome browser on my laptop (which I'm sort of doing... using Rockmelt btw).

This will be a great dumb terminal for corporations which store all their data on cloud and don't need any native applications. Industry is moving towards web apps but it'll be a long time before everyone adopts it. If it is "tied" to google cloud - there will be resistance unless Google can provide private cloud.

Agree with Swamy - why are they not investing time & effort in Android and make that work on netbook? that'd seem like a better strategy.

btw, on the question of not having google account - that is pretty minor... just go an create one :)

This is better than iPad in a way that you can produce content from this much easily... soft keyboard doesn't go long way if you have to type on it for hours.

In the end, I think if Google managed to succeed with this.. it'll put a dent in MSFT and APPL... though we'll see... I'm sure MSFT/APPL are not sitting quiet.

Unknown said...

Very nice article. Now you can ditch ipad in favor of CR-48.

If it goes the way of google wave, you can switchback to a windows netbook :)

Why blame google for asking a google id, your blog also requires one to add comment :)

Sunil Kumar said...

I am still skeptical of the H/W. At 3.8 pounds it does not seem very different from a typical netbook. Granted it boots fast but would like to know what else does it provide. it may provide H/W vendors an alternative to Linux / Windows etc. but not sure what else. I can still use the Google Cloud through those.

I believe the Android provides a compelling alternative to the i_phone because Linux like Windows may be too heavy for these devices still (until we have an new very light unix flavor). But Google O/S vs. linux or Windows I think is a long time in the making,

Sunil (Skeptic)